The 21st century is all about data and it is no surprise that in India, the demand for data scientists is at an all-time high. If you are interested in a career in the world of data science, you may by now know that data science involves examining large amounts of data and provide business insights to make informed decisions. But do you know how leading brands are using these data?
Well, for students pursuing B.Sc. (Hons) Computer Science, we have curated real-world examples of how brands are using data science:
An interesting read for students of bachelors in computer science
1. Coca-Cola: When people talk about data science, they usually think about IT companies leveraging data to understand consumer trends. Well, Coca-Cola was one of the first globally recognized brands outside of the IT market, investing extensively in research and development, especially in artificial intelligence, to understand consumer trends in terms of flavors and preference for healthier options. Based on the data collected, Coca-Cola launched Cherry Sprite — which allowed customers to mix their own drinks.
2. Netflix: If you want to look out for a good example of a big brand using big data analytics for targeted advertising, no one is acting like Netflix. By collecting data from its subscribers, it discovers customer behavior and buying patterns using big analytics data. Then, using that information to recommend movies and TV shows based on their subscribers’ preferences. Not just that, Netflix also releases different versions of a film trailer, and subscribers will get to see the ones suggested by the data on the basis of viewership and engagement.
3. Uber Eats: Isn’t it amazing when you order food via an app within seconds you get to know that when the food will arrive? Uber Eats was among the pioneers of food delivery services that used data science to optimize the delivery process. The team of data scientists and others have to predict how every possible factor will impact traffic and cooking time and offer an estimated time of arrival.
4. PepsiCo: The next time when you want to buy a PepsiCo product? Do notice its placement at the grocery store? It’s not just randomly kept on any shelf. Pep Worx, the cloud-based data and analytics platform of PepsiCo, offers the company and its subsidiaries, insights for inventory selection, product placement, and promotional strategies. When the company wanted to launch Quaker Overnight Oats, using data science identified 24 million US households that it felt would be appropriate to market the product to. Then, PepsiCo identified the grocery stores that these households would be more likely to visit and build promotions to appeal to that audience. This drove 80% of the product’s sales growth in the first 12 months after launch.
5. Marriott hotels: Starwood hotels, one of the brands under Marriott hotels, use dynamic pricing. It is changing hotel tariffs based on various factors such as local and global economic situation, weather, availability and reservation behavior, cancellations, and many others. Adopting dynamic pricing helped the hotel resulted in a 5% revenue increase per room. They utilized data to even follow music concerts happening near their hotels so they could adjust their rates.
Looking for BSc computer science programmes?
In the 21st century, the new driving force behind industries is data. If you are interested in the field of data science check out our B.Sc. (Hons.) Computer Science programme and B.Sc. (Hons.) Computer Science with specialization in Data Science. The Unitedworld School of Computational Intelligence (USCI) offers courses that are aligned with the changing technological advancements and needs of the industry. The school is a member of Oracle, Microsoft, Red Hat Academy, UI Path Academy, and AWS.
May 4, 2022
Artificial intelligence will have a more profound impact on humanity than fire, electricity and the internet. --- Sundar...
Apr 29, 2022
The popularity and use of artificial intelligence is soaring by the day. Artificial intelligence is the ability of...
Mar 30, 2022
B.Sc. Computer Science is one of the most popular courses for students in India today. If you are...