Most of us are now home bound and would be working online. Here are some few tips to keep our internet hygiene free from Corona (fake/panicking) virus (posts/contents).
1. Do not share fake news and contents in WhatsApp groups. It may attract admin criminal liability.
2. If connected with a group of participants for online class through platforms like Zoom or Skype, remember to log out and not to share any other personal details when classes are finished. That will help against unauthorized access to the profiles.
3. Do not try to download the profile pictures, especially that of women faculties and students without their consent. This may amount to violation of privacy.
4. If the still/audio-video image/s of the course instructor or any student suggests that he/she is not feeling well, do not share panic statements, bullying contents or even ridicule him/her in the group. Do not share any contents which may damage his/her reputation including reputation related to physical and mental health that may cause job/business loss for the said person.
5. If anyone is asked to pay any fees/payments for logging into any webpage for accessing any content, one must be careful in not sharing sensitive personal details to pages which may seem suspicious. It is best to enquire with the university authorities and course coordinators regarding safe sites.
6. Above all, do remember the Information Technology (Procedure and safeguards for interception, monitoring and decryption of information) Rules 2009 strictly prohibits unnecessary surveillance in the name of prevention of spreading of the disease. Hence, do not entertain any suspicious mail/message which may enquire about health data of the user or his/her family members.
Stay safe virtually and physically.
Prof (Dr) Debarati Halder, Professor – Legal Studies, Unitedworld School of Law (UWSL)
Disclaimer: The opinions / views expressed in this article are solely of the author in his / her individual capacity. They do not purport to reflect the opinions and/or views of the College and/or University or its members.