|Ph.D: National Law School of India University, Bangalore – Awarded 2013. Title of the Thesis: “Cyber Socialising and victimisation of women: A comparative analysis of laws in India, UK and Canada”.
Master of Laws (ML): University of Madras, International and Constitutional Law
Bachelor of Laws (LLB): University of Calcutta
|Subjects taught at School of Law|
|Cyber law, Criminal Procedure Code, Criminal Laws, Rehabilitation of offenders and juveniles, Victimology & Penology, Laws related to women and child rights.|
|“Webwonderwomen Award” by Ministry of Women & Children Affairs, Government of India & Twitter on 6th March, 2019
“TechNext India 2019 Best Faculty of the year” award by Computer Society of India, Mumbai Chapter on 28th September, 2019
|Experience & Publication|
|• Dr. Debarati Halder had been a practicing lawyer. She had also served as a panel advocate for District Legal Services Authority, Tirunelveli and she has taken sessions on behalf of DLSA on, Cyber crime and laws, Child rights, POCSO Act, Tamil Nadu victim compensation scheme, Ragging prohibition laws etc in various schools and colleges in Tirunelveli District and also in the District Child protection Unit, Tirunelveli, District Police Commissioner’s office, Tirunelveli and at DLSA office for Child Welfare Committee members, Child Line, Tirunelveli and Para legal volunteers. She has been appointed as panel advocate to serve in Child Welfare Committee, Tirunelveli, Juvenile Observation Home , Tirunelveli and Women’s Remand Home, Tirunelveli by the DLSA. She had also been panel advocate for Child Welfare Committee for the third term.
• Dr.Debarati Halder is the Honorary managing director of Centre for Cyber Victim Counselling (CCVC) (www.cybervictims.org), an online not for profit organisation and a think-tank meant for helping and counselling the victims of internet and digital communication crime victims. Dr. Debarati Halder, also works closely with intermediaries like Facebook etc, government stakeholders like National Commission for women, State Commissions for women and Commissions for protection of child rights etc, to help them shape new policy guidelines towards protection of women and children from online offences. She has also been invited by government stakeholders like the Bihar, Kerala, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Assam State commissions for protection of child rights, Maharastra commission for protection of women’s rights etc, for imparting training to stakeholders committed for protection of child rights. Dr.Halder has also assisted UNICEF India in creating child online safety related materials including Child Online Protection in India (https://www.icmec.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/UNICEF-Child-Protection-Online-India-pub_doc115-1.pdf).
• Dr.Debarati Halder is also the founding secretary of South Asian Society of Criminology and Victimology (SASCV)(www.SASCV.org). She is also a member of Board of trustees of International society of Therapeutic Jurisprudence (https://www.intltj.com/).
• Dr. Halder is an independent legal researcher. She has authored three books including “Child sexual abuse and protection laws in India” (ISBN: 9789352806843) by Sage publications (2018)“Cyber crime against women in India”(2016) by SAGE Publications and “Cyber Crime and victimisation of women: Laws, rights and regulation” (2011), published by IGI Global, Hershey, P.A., . Dr.Halder has also edited a book titled “Therapeutic Jurisprudence and Overcoming Violence against Women” (2017) published by IGI Global, US in 2017.
Her book “Cyber crime against women in India”(2016) by SAGE Publications has also been published in Hindi and Marathi by Sage Bhasha in 2019.
• Dr. Halder is also the founder-Associate editor -Book review of two Scopus-UGC listed journals namely, International Journal of Cyber Criminology (http://www.cybercrimejournal.com/) and International Journal of criminal justice sciences (www.http://www.sascv.org/ijcjs/index.html )
Apart from this, Dr.Debarati Halder has also published many scholarly articles on online victimisation of women, cyber law, Child rights, Therapeutic Jurisprudence, Human rights, Prison rights of women etc in many national as well as international peer reviewed journals and edited book chapters including Routledge legal pedagogy series, British Journal of Criminology, International Annals of Criminology, National Law School Journal, Journal of Law and religion and many edited books including “Cyber criminology”, “Social networking as a criminal enterprise”, published by CRC press, Taylor & Francis Group;
• Dr. Halder has developed a theory called “Irrational coping theory for online victimisation” which is published as a book chapter titled Irrational Coping Theory and Positive Criminology: A Frame Work to Protect Victims of Cyber Crime in the book titled “Positive Criminology”, (2015) edited by Natti Ronel and Dana Segav, Routledge, Taylor & Francis group, UK.
• Dr. Debarati Halder was also an invited speaker in the Stockholm Criminology Symposium, 2012. Dr.Debarati Halder, is an expert resource person on cyber law, cyber security, cybercrimes against women and laws, online child protection, Criminal laws, Victimology and Penology etc for many national and international policy making bodies, including UNICEF, Facebook, National Commission for Women, West Bengal, Kerala and Assam State commission for protection of child rights, Maharastra state commission for women etc. She is also invited as expert resource person by Courts and institutes including Manipur High court, North Eastern Police academy, Meghalaya, KIIT Law School, Bhubaneswar, Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Youth Development, Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu etc. She is also invited as resource person in many UGC assisted workshops and seminars.
• Dr.Debarati Halder also served as Vice president for kids and Teens division and internet safety advocate for Working to Halt Online Abuse (WHOA) (www.haltabuse.org) from 2008-2015.