Social Distancing is a term we have recently grown very familiar with. The world is on a standstill with most of the businesses going online. Employees are asked to work from home, something not everyone is used to. Social distancing, also called “physical distancing,” means keeping space between yourself and other people outside of your home. To practice social or physical distancing you need to follow these things: stay at least 6 feet (2 meters) from other people, do not gather in groups, stay out of crowded places and avoid mass gatherings. So, during social distancing you can do lot of things which can keep you engaging and help you in developing your skills and could be useful for you to gain knowledge and your intellect as well. Here you can find the list of things, which will help you in engaging yourself:
· Connect with friends/family virtually: Due to easy availability of technology, keeping up with your close friends and family has been easier than ever. Video chat apps such as FaceTime, Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Skype are a great way to help you stay connected with your near and dear ones while staying at home.
· Play Board Games: Turn off your game consoles, put down your phones, and dust off those board games that you haven’t been touched in ages and spend precious times with your family members. Classics games such as chess, ludo, legos, carrom, scrabble, and monopoly are some fun games that the whole family can enjoy while stuck together in the house.
· Try a new recipe: Make use of Youtube channels try to learn new recipe.
· Workout, Yoga & Exercise: Scientific studies have proven that being fit by doing workout, Yoga and exercise can boost energy, mood, and immune system. With COVID-19 spreading rapidly, having a strong immune system is a must.
· Entertainment & Movies: Work, school, and the tasks of everyday life keep you busy with little time to search other things of interest. Now when you are at home time, watch your favorite movies and TV shows, or watch something you’ve never seen before. Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and Disney Plus are among the most popular streaming services, offering thousands of TV shows, movies, web series and documentaries that accommodate the interests of many.
· Look through Old Photos or Home Videos: Get your mind of the present for a minute, and take some time to look through old photo albums or watch old home videos. Pictures have a way of reminding us of happy times in our lives and help us appreciate the people we care about the most.
· Finish a Book, or Start a New One: Those who are fond of reading can pass by some time by finishing the book, which you picked up months ago. Start a new one today! Amazon sells hardcover books, kindle, and audio versions of hundreds of thousands of books.
· Learn a new language: World is getting smaller with advancement in technology and people travelling across the globe, not only for tourism but for business opportunity as well as job prospective. So, people with those interests can utilize the time and learn languages like Spanish, French, German, whatever you’re trying to learn. YouTube and Duolingo could help in learning step by step and easily.
· Karaoke: People fond of singing can make use of karaoke and fulfill their wish. No one will judge you.
· Make jewellery: It doesn’t have to be fancy. Just use what you have.
· Online courses: Many universities are providing free online courses where you can register and learn the course of your interest with the help of videos. To name a few sites are Swayam, NPTEL, IIM, IIT, Edx, Google garage, etc.
Dr. Sunil Patel, Professor, Unitedworld School of Business (UWSB)
Disclaimer: The opinions / views expressed in this article are solely of the author in his / her individual capacity. They do not purport to reflect the opinions and/or views of the College and/or University or its members.