Programmes

6 Examples of Sustainable Architecture: The List Curated by a Leading Interior Design Institute

“Sustainability is no longer about doing less harm. It’s about doing more good.”  

  • Jochen Zeitz

 

Around the world, more and more sustainable strategies are being implemented in public building designs. Sustainable architecture is the use of design strategies that reduce the negative effects on the environment  through the application of appropriate design concepts and materials and technologies. The designs and materials  used in sustainable architecture respond well to the local environmental conditions.

 

As one of the leading interior design institutes, we share with you a few examples of sustainable architecture. But before delving deep into it, let us first take you through the factors considered while designing a sustainable building:

  • Building orientation
  • Placement of room
  • Sizing and positioning of windows, door and ventilators
  • Energy-efficient materials used
  • Non-toxic paint
  • Water-saving fittings
  • Natural lighting systems
  • Green roofs

 

Here is a list of the world’s iconic sustainable buildings:

  1. One Central Park: The iconic towers of One Central Park were designed by architect Jean Nouvel. The entire building is covered with vegetation, from the foot to the top of the structure. The vegetation includes 250 different species of Australian flowers and plants. The plants shield the building from the direct sun during the summer while ensuring maximum sunlight during the winter. Committed to self-sufficiency, there is a low-carbon natural gas power plant inside the premises for thermal energy generation for both residents and employees. The water network system allows the building’s occupants to use recycled water.

 

  1. Pixel Building: Located at CUB Brewery, the Pixel Building was Australia’s first-ever carbon-neutral office building. The building generated all of its own power and water on site. Along with a host of energy-saving features, the building is colourful and has panels that provide shade. The building is said to push the boundaries of what a sustainable building can achieve. The building implemented many new sustainable building technologies, such as solar and wind harnessing, complex water capturing system, thermal cooling and water usage reduction through vacuum toilets.

 

  1. Suzlon One Earth: Located in Pune, Suzlon One Earth is the headquarters of wind turbine supplier, Suzlon. It is an eco-friendly, sustainable zero power project. The reports say that the building generates some of its electrical needs on site. Out of which, 80% power comes from wind and the rest 20% from solar. The rest of the energy comes from its off-site windmill farms.

 

  1. Torre Reforma: The 807-feet tall building, Torre Reforma is not only the tallest building in Mexico City but it also stands tall on energy-saving measures. The tower’s slimness helps in maximising the amount of natural light it lets in. This cuts down the need for electric lights. The controls around the building automatically open windows when the weather is suitable to let in the cool air as a form of natural ventilation.

 

  1. One Angel Square: Situated in Manchester, England, One Angel Square is a landmark office building. Standing 237.8-feet tall, the building is designed by 3D Reid. The building allows the occupants to easily rearrange and reorganise the space to fit their needs, cutting down the refitting costs. The building has a double-skinned exterior, which helps in reducing heating and cooling costs.

 

  1. CopenHill: Designed by Bjarke Ingels, the founding partner and creative director of Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG), the design of CopenHill is a testament to the -friendly architecture. The eco-friendly waste-to-energy power plant emits no toxins and can burn tons of waste annually into enough clean energy to power homes in the area. The best part of the building is that it also features an artificial ski slope, hiking trails and climbing walls. The waste plant has become a tourist attraction.

 

Note: If you are impressed by these architectural marvels and wish to make a career in industrial interior design, check out our post-graduate course in industrial design. At Unitedworld Institute of Design, Karnavati University, we offer M.Design Industrial Design. The course blends studio-based practice with thorough critical analysis. Besides gaining in-depth design knowledge, students also get to develop critical, technical and managerial skills that align with the needs of the contemporary world, The specialisation streams include:

  • HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) Design
  • Design for Sustainability of Socio-Economic and Natural Environments
  • Design for User-centered Automation (products, services and systems)
  • Design Management
Call Now